Thursday, April 30, 2020

CONFESS: "Burn 'Em All"

Rating: RRRR
Label: Street Symphonies / Burning Minds Music Group
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

Here's a band with a wide appeal... their songs range from no-frills sleazy hard rock to AOR'ish melodic rock. I think I'll take the one-by-one approach to this review, haven't done that for a while.

"So What" - no frills, and no thrills for me either. A straight-forward rocker, reminds me of Hardcore Superstar and Ratt.

"Malleus" - a single release, and rather catchy. John Elliot snarls with conviction and the guitar lick underneath the chorus sounds like tango. Bang Tango to be exact.

"Welcome Insanity" - is that a Scorpions riff? I like it! Cool backing vocals and a more melodic approach.

"A Beautiful Mind" - intro with sounds of thunder (not the band) and bells... dramatic... the chorus is good, but somehow the verses don't do it for me.

"Heresy" - L.A., 1988... again a more melodic approach and some keyboards. The lovers of the sleazy side of the band might not dig but I do.

"Burn 'em All" - It's a rush hour in L.A., 1983! "Live Wire" anyone? Frantic. The chorus isn't really there.

"Is It Love" - well, it might just be! This is something different, a mid-tempo melodic track. Think Crazy Lixx at their most AOR'ish, maybe H.E.A.T... yes, I love this one.

"My Vicious Way" - very good melodic sleaze, somewhere between the band's two extremes.

"509" - 2 minutes and 18 seconds of punky rock. No frills, but I kinda like it. Maybe it's the "whoah's".

"Prominence" - The opening riff has a Babylon A.D. vibe. Good hook. An extra point for the title, I confess (haha) that I had to look it up.

"One For The Road" - An anthemic song that sounds very familiar. It's not a cover according to the credits, but the chorus sounds like something that could be sung by the crowd in a football match. Hands in the air, all together now!

https://www.facebook.com/confessofsweden

No comments:

Post a Comment