Wednesday, October 5, 2016

EDENSONG: "Years In The Garden Of Years”

Rating: RRR
Label: The Laser's Edge
Review by Martien Koolen

In 2008 the American based Edensong released their debut album called The Fruit Fallen and that album got a couple of great reviews. Edensong, formed eight years ago, uses musical elements from early prog "gods" like Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull and this means that the music of Edensong consists of rather complex song compositions and structures and they also add lots of orchestral instruments like the flute, the violin and the cello. In my humble opinion Edensong uses the flute too often, as therefore their sound tends to become too folky for me. It took almost eight years to finish this conceptalbum wiith the rather obscure, weird title Years In The Garden Of Years and the songs on this new album are a bit more progressive than on their debut.

If I would have to name the highlights of this album then I would pick the opener Cold City, Down The Hours and Yawn Of A Blink. The two instrumental songs on the album called End Times In Retrospect and Chronos are also worth mentioning, but again I have to say - I know I repeat myself - too much flute.... Edensong's music is without any doubt overloaded with emotion, melody and harmony, but it all sounds a bit too quiet, folky and "obscure" for me... However if you liked Edensong's debut The Fruit Fallen, then Years In The Garden Of Years is defintely your cup of tea. Check it out and listen to the album with earphones on, then you might enjoy it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment