Monday, October 3, 2011

THE FUCKING WRATH: "Valley Of The Serpent's Soul"


Rating: 2/10

Label: TeePee Records 2011

Review by Kimmo Toivonen

I have a sneaking suspicion that the A&R people of TeePee Records do not value singing as most people know it too highly. I reviewed The Elks the other day, and now this... The band name alone suggested that this wouldn't be our usual melodic fare, but bravely I volunteered to review this. Actually, no-one else did so I thought I would, just for the "fun" of it.

Compared to the Elks, "Valley Of The Serpent's Soul" is better produced, at least the vocals are more audible. The band jumps from raw, punky rock to Sabbathy doom, sometimes within one song, but just like with their labelmates, a singer would have been a good addition to the band. There's a "vocalist", but he merely shouts, yells and hollers. There were some short moments of what I could call "singing" on one of the songs, but I'm beginning to think they were accidental, since he quickly returned to shouting and yelling.

"We are out to smash your eardrums with an audio assault of blood, riffs and gear", the band proudly says in the PR letter. Well, mission accomplished. Unofortunately I am not a masochist, so I didn't enjoy it at all.

Website

MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment