Tuesday, January 28, 2014

EMERGENCY GATE: ”Remembrance (The Early Days)”

Rating: RRR
Label: TZR / TwiLight 2012
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

This is a new EP from German "Melodic Death Core" band Emergency Gate, apparently showcasing their earlier material. I reviewed their latest full-length album a year ago, and gave it a two-R rating, stating that the hardcore screamy vocals ruined some decent songs. I guess I like their early stuff more, as most of these songs feature melodic choruses with clean vocals, and somehow the screaming doesn't annoy me as much as it did on the previous
album. Maybe because there's less of it.

In my previous review I compared EG to bands like Kamelot, Rammstein and Therapy?, but somehow these tracks remind me of The Sentenced, To/Die/For and other dark, gothic Finnish bands. I didn't better, I could imagine that EG were a Finnish band. Strange.

The stand-out track of the EP is the band's cover of Haddaway's nineties eurodance smash "What Is Love". Whether it's a stand-out for the right reasons is entirely up to you... It features Haddaway on vocals, with the band blasting out some sort of techno-core in the background and Matthias Kupka adding some delicate screams to the whole thing. Hilarious and disturbing at the same time... I guess I kinda like it!

Website
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment