Friday, February 18, 2011

STATE COWS: "State Cows"


Rating: 9/10

Label: Avenue of Allies Music 2010

Review by Endre 'Bandi' Hübner

When Kimmo asked me to review this band instead of him doing that he justified skipping it with the following words: they make Toto sound like heavy metal. Other than LMAO I got interested right away; good old fashioned westcoast stuff can always find its way to my CD player.

Well, the State Cows sure know how to get the feeling right. Guess they start every rehearsal with a yell like "Chicago, eat your heart out!" or something to that effect. If you didn't like Chicago in the late 70s, early 80s you might as well scroll on to the next review because honestly I did not know where these guys end Peter Cetera and the rest of the dudes start. Okay, if you like Spyro Gyra or any other smooth, melodic jazz you might as well be interested, now that I think a bit more about it, mild funky fans might not have to leave the hall either. In the end we'll have quite a party here, someone bring my bell-bottom pants, I gotta work on my sideburns though.

The more than 50 minutes long running time of the album shall be enough for most of the party, especially if we take into account that there's not one skipper here. All these tunes are brilliantly produced, westcoast pop-rock tunes with great piano-guitar work, the obligatory horns and thick backing vocals but groove-junkies will have their treat by the stellar rhythm section, too. With other words: it doesn't get any better than this for a good retro dancing backyard party. Check the website, the soundbytes and the videos to see/hear what I'm talking about.

www.statecows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment