Thursday, June 4, 2020

Christian SHIELDS: "This Is Rock'N'Roll"

Rating: RRR
Label: Shields Records
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

Mr. Shields kicks the door open with "Not This Time", a track modelled after Aldo Nova classic "Fantasy". This is indeed Rock'n Roll, not EDM, rap or anything else you're likely to hear on the radio these days. And for that I applaud this artist.

Apart from the Aldo Nova influence, We're talking about vintage 80ies sounds with a touch of the quirkiness of The Darkness thrown in. "Rock And Roll" and the bluesy "Here Comes The Man" have a Cinderella vibe, the semi-ballad "By The Strings" borrows a bit from Danger Danger, "Can't Get Enough" is straightforward rock, Accadacca meets KIX, the ballad "Without You" is a hybrid of Bon Jovi and Guns'n Roses...

The album's biggest downfall might just be what I wrote above: apart from Shields' rather unique vocals there isn't much here that I haven't heard before. I know, it's hard to re-invent the wheel and come up with something totally new, and I don't expect that. Shields could very well be on his way to finding his own style, but with this debut solo album, he's not there yet. Still, the is a decent good-time hard rock album, and I might add a couple of these songs to my summertime rock playlist.

http://www.christianshieldsrocks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment