Wednesday, April 22, 2020

XTASY: "Eye Of The Storm"

Rating: RRRr
Label: Metalopolis Records
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

I remember reviewing the first Xtasy album a few years ago. I don't remember much about it, it left a good enough impression that I wanted to check out this new one, when a review link was sent to me. "Eye Of The Storm" is the band's third album, and just like the previous two it's been mixed and mastered by Erik Mårtensson of Eclipse/W.E.T./Nordic Union fame. However, on this album Mårtensson has taken a bigger role as a co-writer. I haven't heard the second album, but at least compared to the first one this is a tighter and a harder-edged album. I and have a feeling that it's because of Mårtensson's bigger input, at least to some degree. There are certainly some very "Eclips'ish" moments here and there!

The song material here is very solid from start to finish, and the production is very good. Silvia Idoate's vocals have improved, I thought her singing wasn't too convincing on the first album, she's much more passionate on this one. Her singing does get a little screechy sometimes, but at least she's not playing it safe. What's more, the vocal melodies are better than before.

My favourite songs include the catchy "Flesh & Blood", "Eye Of The Storm" and "Nowhere to Run", just to name a few. I will not let you know which songs I think are the Eclips'ish ones, you can play the "Spot the Erik" game yourself!


https://www.xtasyband.com
https://www.facebook.com/xtasyrockband/

No comments:

Post a Comment